Influenced by nature and organic forms, my hand-built sculptures and wall pieces are three-dimensional compositions composed of lines, the interplay of positive and negative spaces, proportion, and color. I strive for visual simplicity, movement, and balance of form.
After spending an extended period in Japan apprenticing with a potter I developed an interest in “wabi-sabi” a Japanese aesthetic that finds beauty in things imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete.
Most of the work is unglazed. To achieve a particular color and surface quality, I use different clays and fire in reduction, oxidation and soda kilns or in a garbage can with wood shavings to obtain the desired effect.
- Glen Echo Pottery Studio, MD 2005 – present
- MPA, American University, DC 2000
- Apprenticeship with Banura Shiro, Kyoto, Japan, 1986-1988
- Private studio Oakland, California1983-1985
- BFA, major in Ceramics, California College of Arts and Crafts, Oakland, CA
- Labor Day Art Show, Spanish Ballroom, Glen Echo Park, MD September 2-4; 12-6 pm
- “Vessels Great and Small”, Popcorn Gallery, Glen Echo Park, MD May 5 – 28
- Creative Crafts Council 2017 Biennial, Strathmore Mansion, Bethesda, MD April 8 – May 21
- Sculpture REMIX 2017: Craft/Technology/Art, Popcorn Gallery, Glen Echo Park, MD April 8 – 30
- “Landmarks”, Washington Sculptures Group, Cafritz Foundation Art Center’s King Street Gallery, Silver Spring, MD, October 2016.
- “Turf and Terrain”, Arts in Foggy Bottom Outdoor Sculpture Biennial, Washington, DC, May 2016.
- Watergate Gallery, Washington, DC, May 2016
- “Cartes Blanches”, Washington Sculptures Group, Delaplaine Visual Arts Center, Frederick, MD, June 2016.
- “Sculpture Now 2014 – 30th Anniversary”, Katzen Arts Center, American University, MD, November 2014
- “Flesh & Bones: Contemporary Figurative Art”, Hillyer Art Space, Washington, DC, July 2014
- “Small Works”, Annmarie Arts Center, Dowell, MD, August 2014
- Annual Ceramics Exhibition, Popcorn Gallery, Glen Echo Park, MD, 2009-2016
- Artomatic, Crystal City, VA, May 2012
- Creative Craft Council, Bethesda, MD, May 2009 and June 2011
- Sandy Spring Museum, Sandy Spring, MD, January 2010, 2nd place award